Monday, April 20, 2009

My daughter is driving me CRAZY!!!

For a much more amusing version of the following story, please read Jen's recounting HERE.

Ann reminded me to post about the latest trial of having a three year old so I would be able to look back and laugh one day. This is not that day. I do, however, intend to slurp my blog into book form as a baby book of sorts for the kids, so I will recount Lilly's new issue:

She skinned her knee last Friday. I'll admit, it was a nasty scrape, but not worthy of all the drama that has unfolded on our household over the last 4 days. Immediately after we cleaned her knee up and bandaged it with a monster band-aid, she professed that she could not walk. I tolerated that behavior for Friday night, but told her that she would be better by the morning (which usually works). She prayed for her knee, and then we did too, and she said her normal healing prayer response, "Jesus is healing me!" I was thinking everything would be fine by morning. I was wrong.

Lilly REFUSED to get out of bed by herself on Saturday. I (being the good mom that I am) told her that she would have to stay in her wet diaper and not have breakfast until she walked to the bathroom and then her seat at the table. She laid at the top of the stairs for over an hour. I don't think she ever got her breakfast. I was NOT happy with Lilly, especially since we were having her birthday party that afternoon. (Side note: I have issues with planning events of any scale, because most times when I have even slightly above average expectations of decent attendance, good times and happy memories, no one shows up or the event is a dud. Case in point--Lilly's 2nd b-day party--She needed a nap like none other and cried and refused to look at anyone the entire 1st half of the party. Her mommy was mucho dissappointed.)

Long story short, she refused to stand up or walk the entire duration of the party, the remainder of Saturday, all day Sunday, and yes, all day today, so far. She has pushed me well past the point of exhasperation...and we're approaching rage at times. I've tried spanking, the naughty-spot, "throwing away" all of her dresses, and now she's shut in her room without toys, bedding, or books.

The most mobility we can get out of her is a strange froggy-style hop/crawl. And she does stand like a flamingo with her injured leg drawn all the way up. We've tricked her into walking a couple times, but she suddenly becomes lame the instant she realizes the trick. I know that her knee can't be hurting her that much, because I've watched her bang it into the ground when she's crawling. And her attitude is...special. The tantrums we've had over the past couple days should last us awhile.

Here's hoping she walks soon. I'll be a much happier mommy then.

4 comments:

Khara Brooks said...

Ahhh...the three year old girl. As you well know, I have one too. If you'd ever like to commiserate, just let me know.

I cannot believe how much Abbey's attitude has changed in the last month or so. She doesn't listen to anything she's told, and she's been talking back quite a bit as well as hitting. Not fun at all. I told Matt last night that she's 3 going on 16. I want my sweet little girl back!

Rachel said...

I hear 3 is worse then 2!! Good luck. It has to get better. Once we get settled in you can drop her off at my house next week if you need a break! I'm sure Lucas would love to show her the new digs.

shannon said...

oh man she is throwing down. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH im with you :'( (okay its funny for me, and makes me love her more...but i know for you its sheer misery... )tell her im going to come over and take Belle away if she isn't nice to her mommy!!!!!)

Larimer said...

Lilly you have made my day!! That is the best story ever! I even saw the video. Made me laugh out loud!! Sorry Kate.