Monday, May 11, 2009

My Late-20's Crisis...(I'm still a couple decades away from a mid-life one)

Lately I've been mourning the loss of my fancy-free years. Life as mommy can sometimes mean fewer spur-of-the-moment decisions. It feels like everything I do is planned weeks (if not months) in advance, and for the most part, I like it that way. As of late, though, I've felt the "wanderlust" of mu early 20's, when I would drive for hours to visit friends or family even for a day or so, just because I felt like it. I'd follow Phish on their summer tours, living out of cars and tents, eating grilled cheese made by hippies and taking "showers" fully clothed with a garden hose. (Classy, I know.) Those days were so fun, and I miss that part of my life now and then. Now I deal with financial restrictions, a jam-packed schedule, work commitments and, well, life in general. It makes it much more complicated to travel on a whim, to say the least!
A few weeks ago, my longing to just pick up and go got the best of me! I gave Matt a heads up that I wanted to go to Kentucky with a couple lays notice. My Kentucky best friend had just given birth to her second son, and I wanted to surprise her with a visit. So, on a random Thursday, I got up early, packed the kids up, and headed out to Kentucky at 7:30 a.m. We got to Wilmore around 2:30, ate lunch, and surprised Hilary and visited for a couple hours before heading home. We arrived home just before midnight. What a day! The kids were great, and I really enjoyed seeing Hilary face-to-face for the first time in a couple years. I only wish I could make the same trip to Kansas to see Brandy & her new baby! (But a 14 hour drive to KS is MUCH different than the 6-ish hour drive to KY. Especially with 2 kids. I guess I'll have to wait until Labor Day to see Brandy.)

Here are some pictures of Hilary and her beautiful new son, Perrin:

3 comments:

Khara Brooks said...

I felt that same way pretty strongly a couple of summers ago. But it does get better, I promise! Just wait until the kids are bigger! You guys will be able to do so much more spur of the moment stuff!

By the way, every time I hear Kentucky it makes me crave fried chicken.

The Fiskeaux Family said...

I always knew I'd be part of your life crises. :)

Messie-Bessie said...

Wow, Kate! These pictures are great! Thank you SO much for taking them. I'm sorry I missed you on that spur-of-the-moment visit...if only I hadn't been at work then (sigh).

I still have fond memories of throwing you in my trunk and having Hilary shout to you from inside the car to make sure you were still breathing...ah-h those were the days...

Love,

not-Mommy